September is the perfect month to get back into good habits and your skincare routine should be one of those. Below are a few simple tips on how you can get back into, or start, a dedicated skincare routine:
- Clean up your products and throw away any old bottles or items you don’t use anymore. Remember, you don’t need to have a full cupboard of products. Less is more when it comes to skincare and especially when you are using key products specifically for your skin type or concern. Make sure the area that you do your routine in is clean and organised. This makes it easy for you each morning and evening.
- Enjoy your routine and see it as a moment for yourself. Your morning skin routine sets you up for the day, and should be about protection and the evening routine is a way of unwinding after a busy day, and here you can focus on correcting and repairing. Light a candle, listen to a podcast or your favorite music if it helps you. Work the products well into the skin, don’t rush the steps.
- Know your skin type or concern so that you are getting the best results from your products. Don’t use products just because someone else uses them and thinks they are great. Every skin is different and has different needs. If you have concerns, make sure the products you are using are targeting your skin concerns as otherwise you won’t see any improvements.
- Weekly routine is crucial! This is your mini facial during the week and you can do it about 2-3 times a week, depending on your skin. Exfoliation and masking make a huge difference to the skin. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cell build up, and allows for new skin to reach the surface, resulting in a brighter, smoother, and healthier complexion. When you follow exfoliating with masking – the results are even better. There are different types of exfoliants and masks for skin types. My favorites are chemical and enzyme exfoliants, Japanese sheet masks and clarifying clay masks.
- Careful with the actives - Too many people over exfoliate and overuse retinols and acids. These are great things to use, but it's best to use them carefully and only use ones suitable to your skin type. When you over do it, you can damage your acid mantle (protective skin layer) and all sorts of irritations occur. Less is more. When your not sure what to use or how often, seek professional advice. Google and Tik Tok are not professional portals for skincare 😉
- Treat yourself to a Facial when you can. Besides rejuvenating and rebooting your skin, facials are a great way to switch off, relax and recharge your mind and body. Facial treatments help stimulate the blood circulation and lymph drainage in the face, release tension held in the muscles, lift and contour the face, deep clean the pores, stimulate natural collagen and elastin production, brighten and soften the skin. What’s not to love about that!? There are many different types of facials out there. If your confused or not sure which one to choose or where to go, I would suggest you start with a consultation and take it from there. All our facial treatments at Skin Wise are specifically customized to you, your skin, and its needs. We educate you on your skin and how to take care of it at home.
- Be mindful of what you eat because we are what we eat. Making healthy food choices not only benefits our body but also our skin. What we eat eventually shows on our body (and face).
Remember, the skin is the largest organ in the body. We only get one! Take good care of it from inside out.
If you have any questions feel free to get in touch. To make an appointment at our clinic in Amsterdam you can do so directly online or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org Shop our skincare tools and sheet masks on skin-wise.com
Below are a few of my favorite products that I am currently using to work on hyperpigmentation, brightening, hydrating and protecting the skin.
Have a lovely glowing September!